The old Mandarin Store and Post Office evokes memories of small town and village general stores across America. It was the hub of village life from the time it opened in 1911 until it closed in 1964. It sold everything from canned goods from South America, to meat, animal feed, fish, cold soda, and penny candy. It was a favorite stop for area children because the school bus stopped out front.
Beginning February 2015 there will be a monthly “Under The Oaks” acoustic jam session on the 1st Sunday of the month from 2-4. The jam is open to any one who plays a traditional acoustic instrument. Just bring a chair and your instrument and join in. Jams will be outside weather permitting and moved inside if necessary.
The original proprietor and postmaster was Walter Jones. His daughter, Miss Aggie Jones, took over the position when he died in 1928. Displays include some of the original furnishings and other memorabilia.
The building, which is leased from the Mandarin Community Club, was restored by a grant from the Florida Department of State Division of Historical Resources. The 1911 Mandarin Store and Post Office is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Address: 12471 Mandarin Road
Mandarin Store & Post Office Hours: 1st and 3rd Sundays, 1-3pm. However, it will be closed until August due to lack of AC and painting taking place..